A classic yellow cake recipe is something everyone should have in their arsenal. This vintage cake is made with a rich mixture of butter, eggs, and buttermilk for a tender butter cake that is perfect for birthdays and everyday celebrations!
You can freeze this homemade yellow cake in chocolate buttercream frosting, cream cheese frosting, or even lemon buttercream!
What is the yellow cake?
This classic yellow cake might be the most traditional of all. It is a simple and rich recipe made with butter and whole eggs that produces a golden crumb and a tender cake.
This particular yellow cake recipe also adds egg yolks, a little vegetable oil, and uses buttermilk to spice up this moist yellow cake recipe! If you don’t have buttermilk on hand, feel free to use my easy buttermilk substitute.
How to make yellow cake
It is very easy to make this yellow cake from scratch, but it is VERY important to make sure ALL the ingredients are at room temperature before you begin.
- Preheat the oven, grease, and line your cake pans with parchment paper. This makes removing the cake from the pan easy.
- Sift the dry ingredients together into a medium bowl to make a lighter cake.
- Beat the butter, sugar, oil, and vanilla together and mix the eggs one at a time so that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients with a rubber spatula, alternating with the buttermilk. Folding the ingredients helps keep the cake light and fluffy.
- Divide evenly among the cake pans and bake! Easy right?
Can the yellow cake be frozen?
Yes, you can, and freezing this yellow cake makes assembly quick and easy when a special occasion pops up.
To freeze, bake and chill according to recipe instructions. Once the cake has completely cooled, wrap each layer in plastic wrap, then wrap each layer in aluminum foil, then place each layer in a large freezer bag. Freeze for up to three months.
When ready to use, remove it from the freezer and allow it to thaw for 30 to 60 minutes while still wrapped, then remove and use.
Assembling the cake when the layers are still partially frozen will make it a little easier and result in clean cuts once the cake is cut.
I’m sure you’ll agree that this is the best yellow cake recipe you’ve ever made!
More delicious cake recipes
Cook time 35 minutes
Cooling time 1 hour
Total time 1 hour 50 minutes
A classic Yellow Cake recipe is something everyone should have in their arsenal. This antique cake is made with a rich mixture of butter, eggs, and buttermilk for a tender, buttery cake that’s perfect for birthdays and everyday celebrations!
· 2 3/4 cups cake flour
· 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
· 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
· 1 teaspoon kosher salt
· 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
· 1/3 cup vegetable oil
· 2/3 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
· 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
· 2 large eggs at room temperature
· 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
· 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk at room temperature
1. Preheat your oven to 325 ° F and spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and line the bottoms with parchment paper and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl with a hand mixer or stand mixer fitted with a whisk, combine the sugar, oil, butter, and vanilla.
4. Add the eggs and egg yolks beating one at a time after each addition just until just combined.
5. Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into 3 parts alternating with the 2 parts buttermilk. Start and finish with the dry ingredients. Gently fold until only very small lumps remain. DO NOT use an electric mixer for this step.
6. Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake pans and bake for 30 to 35 minutes. A toothpick should be clean from the center when you’re done.
7. Transfer cake pans to a wire rack and allows cakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing and allowing to cool completely (about 1 hour) before frosting. Once cooled, freeze and assemble the cake as desired.
Nutrition information does not include frosting.
Calories 385 , Fat: 19g , Saturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol 90mg Sodium 286mg Potassium: 136mg , Carbohydrates: 48g , Fiber: 1g Sugar: 27g Protein: 6g Vitamin A: 448% Calcium 71% , Iron: 1%